The Y in Central Maryland and McCormick Flavor For Life Partner to Provide Healthy Living Activities for Maryland Youth and Families
(Baltimore, MD) – The Y in Central Maryland and McCormick Flavor For Life have launched a strategic partnership to provide healthy living activities and events to youth and families throughout Central Maryland. As an important Y Healthy Living Partner, McCormick’s yearlong partnership will kick off with sponsorship of, and participation in, the Y’s Healthy Kids Day, which will take place at Y Centers throughout Central Maryland on Saturday, April 29.
Flavor For Life is McCormick’s charitable giving program that aims to teach children, individuals and families how to reduce their salt, fat and sugar intake while boosting flavor through the use of spices and herbs. The Y in Central Maryland is one of the program’s three signature partners.
“Given our aligned focus on promoting healthy living, this partnership is a natural fit,” said Lori Robinson, Vice President, Corporate Communications and Corporate Branding for McCormick. “The Y and McCormick are working together to engage and educate youth and families, so they can apply healthy living practices in everyday life.”
In 2016, the McCormick Flavor For Life Y partnership included support of Healthy Kids Day, Y Summer Camp, Y Family Events and the Turkey Trot Charity 5k, all told reaching over 12,000 people promoting healthy living.
John Hoey, President & CEO of the Y in Central Maryland added, “McCormick Flavor For Life has been a wonderful partner and now builds on that partnership. They exhibit tremendous civic leadership with energetic employee volunteerism at Y events. It’s a fantastic example of corporate social responsibility.”
The Y and McCormick Flavor For Life are partnering to host the following Y activities, which are estimated to reach thousands of Marylanders in 2017:
- Healthy Kids Day, a free event at Y Centers throughout Central Maryland featuring family fitness activities, healthy treats, crafts, face painting and more. A McCormick Flavor For Life station will be at each Y Center with a tasting and hands-on flavoring station, Flavor For Life Spice twister and recipes.
- Y on the Fly, a mobile experience, sponsored in conjunction with PNC, that brings physical activity and healthy eating to middle and low socio-economic neighborhoods in Baltimore City throughout the summer. The Flavor For Life tent will be at each stop, allowing kids to taste different spices and help with food preparation.
- Y Summer Camps will feature a mobile kitchen each week where children will prepare food using McCormick spices and herbs. There will also be a McCormick Flavor For Life Day at Camp on August 11, during the Y’s Renaissance Festival theme week. Campers will learn about the origin and transportation of spices and other goods around the world during medieval times and how spices became trade commodities influencing culture globally.
- Y Turkey Trot Charity 5K, the Y’s signature annual fundraiser held throughout Central Maryland on Thanksgiving morning. McCormick Flavor For Life will be incorporated into nutritional lessons taking place in the weeks leading up to the race at Y Before and After School sites and is a major sponsor of the entire event.
For more information about McCormick Flavor For Life visit http://www.mccormickcorporation.com/Flavor-For-Life and view their video at https://vimeo.com/155148060.
The Y’s Mission:
The Y in Central Maryland is a charitable organization dedicated to developing the full potential of every individual through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
At the Y, we are committed to providing family-oriented, affordable, high quality programs.
A cause driven organization with three areas of vital focus:
- For Youth Development: nurturing the potential of every child and teen
- For Healthy Living: improving our community’s health & well-being
For Social Responsibility: giving back and providing support for our neighbors. The Y is a place for everyone. People of all races, ages, faiths, gender, abilities, backgrounds and incomes are welcome and financial assistance on a sliding scale is available to those who would otherwise be unable to participate.
Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility
For Immediate Release: Media Contact:
April 20, 2017 Leanna Bernhard