Now that the leaves are falling from the trees, the days have gotten colder and the sunlight scarcer, there’s no way to avoid the inevitable and exciting fact that the Y Turkey Trot Charity 5K is upon us! We are seeing registrations roll in at a record pace, and with them some wonderful comments have been left on our donation site which underscore both the Y’s indelible impact and the fact that it takes a small army of incredible people to make this event happen.
Just take a look at some of the inspiring notes we received attesting to why people have registered and/or donated:
- “Mrs. Stephanie Baker (a Y board member) is a great person always giving back to her community. It is with great joy that I’ll able to support her by giving to Maryland’s children & the community.”
- “I met Suzanne Green (VP, Operations, the Ward Y in Abingdon) while attending to my brother’s illness. She allowed me to use her facility to burn off the stress and to relax. Suzanne has been a part of my family ever since. A real inspiration.”
- “Dana Smith (a Y board member) inspires me with her dedication to such a worthy cause. Keep up the good work!”
- “Frank Holden (Regional Property Director) is a one-of-a-kind, kindly, special, and gentle spirit He is honorable, thoughtful, rare, and the finest human I have ever had the pleasure of knowing, sharing a boat with and called friend.”
- “I worked as a lifeguard and swim instructor at the Y as a teenager. In many places, including Baltimore City, the Y offers a safe place for young people to socialize and be around others who are focusing on their health. This organization taught me about health and safety, and employed me in my first job with a paycheck. I want to pay it forward and connect other young people (and seniors!) to this welcoming place.”
- “The Y does a great job. Its volunteers are dedicated. All children need a chance to learn, enjoy and breathe in the goodness of other relationships, skills, and good leadership.”
- “The Y Preschool in Towson is the BEST! Their teachers are loving, intelligent, and giving. They are excellent role models for our children.”
In addition to getting all of your friends and family members to register and participate in the Y Turkey Trot, we have a variety of fun and meaningful pre-race and race day volunteer opportunities you are invited to participate in.
- Sign up as an Ambassador and play an important role in the promotion, fundraising and success of the event.
- Volunteer at one of our Mini Trot events.
- Help at pre-race packet pickup in centers, and, of course, volunteer at the Turkey Trot itself!
To search all volunteer opportunities, simply follow this link.
All of this work, fun and activity contributes to helping children and families participate in healthy Y activities and programs that they otherwise could not afford. All of it builds a better, stronger, healthier and more connected community. As we like to say – For a better us!
All the best,
John K. Hoey
President & CEO
The Y in Central Maryland