Thank you for supporting Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y’s Bowl for Kids’ Sake (BFKS)! The children served by Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y are among our community’s most vulnerable; often living in a single-parent household, growing up in poverty, or coping with parental incarceration. By participating in Bowl for Kids’ Sake, you and your team help assure that every child who needs the presence of a caring, responsible mentor in his or her life, gets one.
As a Team Captain, you are responsible for recruiting bowlers to your team and making the connection between them and Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y. You are the heart and soul of Bowl for Kids’ Sake and we can’t thank you enough! We’ve developed this Team Captain guide to help your team be successful. This short guide will help you speak knowledgeably about Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y, answer questions, and encourage others to become involved. More importantly, you’ll demonstrate your passion for changing how children grow up in Baltimore.
Thank you for your dedication,
The Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y Team
It’s easy to raise money for Big Brothers Big Sisters! People want to invest in programs proven to change lives and break cycles of poverty. Remember the minimum fundraising goal is $1,200 per team. Thats only $200 per teammate for a team of 6, or $25 from eight friends per teammate!
- Start by asking your friends and family to get involved.
- If you fundraised last year, ask your donors from last year.
- Remember the cause. Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y provides meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 18.
- Use Facebook, Twitter and Email. It’s really easy to post your fundraising page’s URL directly in your social media posts and emails to raise awareness of the cause and to help you reach your goal.
- Thank your donors publicly on social media to generate buzz and let them know how much they are appreciated!
- Ask about company matches. Many companies will match an employee’s contributions to a charity. Ask your HR Director or Office Manager if your company participates in a Company Match Program. If so, your donation will go even further!
- Shoot for $25 donations or higher. The quickest and easiest way to meet the $1,200 team goal is to have each team member (team of 6) ask 8 friends or family members to donate $25.
- Tell your personal story. Tell your friends the reason why you support Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y. Let them know about the amazing outcomes and/or personal experiences you have had with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Need talking points? Read more about Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y’s mission below!
• All donations are tax deductible.
• All proceeds go directly to help serve local children build and sustain long-lasting relationships with a safe and dependable mentor.
• You are giving to a community in need!
What is Bowl for Kids’ Sake?
Bowl for Kids’ Sake is a new Y fundraiser supporting Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y. It is a one day bowling event which raises funds by asking teams of 6 to come together and raise $1,200 per team in order to bowl and support vulnerable kids in the community. It’s a great team-building opportunity for fellow employees, Y members, participants, volunteers and friends. It brings people together for bowling fun in support of a great cause!
Who does Bowl for Kids’ Sake benefit? Where does the money go?
All proceeds benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y. All proceeds go directly to help serve local children build and sustain long-lasting relationships with a safe and dependable mentor.
What is Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y?
Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y is a new program of the Y and is Maryland’s largest volunteer mentoring network. The program makes meaningful, monitored matches between mentors and child mentees, ages 6 through 18. It helps develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people. With the help of our volunteer mentors, partners, donors, funders and families, we provide children facing adversity strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever. Together, we are responsible for helping each mentee achieve: • Higher aspirations, greater confidence, and better relationships • Avoidance of risky behaviors • Educational success
I’ve recruited team members. How do they register?
- 1.It’s easy and online! Visit https://give.classy.org/2018BFKS and click Register.
- Select join a team and follow the prompt (the registration page will ask your recruited team member to search for your team by entering the team name or your name).
- Start fundraising and reach your goal of $1,200 per team.
How much do teams need to fundraise or donate to bowl at the March 24th bowling event?
Each team is asked to fundraise or donate $1,200 minimum to bowl at the March 24th event.
How many people make up a team?
The maximum number of participants per team is 6. Teams may have less, but they still must meet the fundraising or donation goal of $1,200 to bowl at the March 24th event.
What should bowlers expect at the event?
Bowlers should expect to have a blast! When they arrive bowlers will receive their lane assignment upon check-in. Each team is allotted 2 hours of bowling time, a free food and drink ticket, a fun giveaway, complimentary bowling shoe rental, and a chance to win a cash raffle prize! The team with the highest score and the highest fundraising total will receive a trophy.
Can friends and family come to the event to support bowlers?
Yes! Everyone is welcome to come and cheer on their teams. Only registered participants will receive a food and drink ticket and a giveaway. Children may bowl in place of an adult fundraiser and must be under the supervision of a parent/guardian at all times.
If a fundraiser’s team does not reach their goal, will they be refunded?
No. When registering for the event participants will be reminded that donations go directly to support Big Brothers Big Sisters at the Y. Donations cannot be refunded.
You are not alone!
These tips and ideas are for your use to help make your Bowl for Kids’ Sake Team successful! If you have any questions or need further support, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your commitment to help change the lives of children right here our community. Don your bowling shoes and shirt in your effort to help us raise money to impact a child’s life and we will see you on March 24th at AMF Towson Lanes!